Birdfeeding

Aug. 5th, 2026 02:21 pm
ysabetwordsmith: Cartoon of me in Wordsmith persona (Default)
[personal profile] ysabetwordsmith posting in [community profile] birdfeeding
Today is partly cloudy and warm.

I fed the birds.  I've seen a mixed flock of sparrows and house finches plus a male cardinal.  Finches were bathing in the red birdbath.  I heard a squirrel barking but didn't see it.

I put out water for the birds.

EDIT 8/5/26 -- I did a bit of work around the patio.

EDIT 8/5/26 -- I did a bit of work around the patio.

EDIT 8/5/26 -- We went out to the little farmer's market outside DeBurh's in Mattoon.  There were lots of people there this time!  :D  Multiple vegetable booths, several crafters, a baker, the tamale lady, and a food truck.  I bought 6 ears of sweet corn and a carton of tomatillos, with the intent of making the skillet dish.  One lady had an enormous potted marigold that came up to my hip!  She had slightly smaller ones for sale, so I bought one to add its genetics to my Shithouse Marigolds landrace.  They get knee-high or a bit more and are usually the tallest that I see.

I heard quail whistles in the yard, but didn't see any.

EDIT 8/5/26 -- I did a bit of work around the patio.

EDIT 8/5/26 -- I did a bit of work around the patio.

EDIT 8/5/26 -- I watered the septic garden.  Multiple sunflowers are blooming, all in shades of yellow, most with multiple heads.  The tallest one is actually budding a second head, which is surprising since those are usually singles.  I'm delighted to see them raining pollen everywhere.  I want to maximize production of pollen and nectar for pollinator benefit.  These likely descend from 'Autumn Beauty' (a multicolored branching type) with input from 'Mammoth' and a couple of Native American landraces like Arikara and Hopi Black Dye.

EDIT 8/5/26 -- I did more work around the patio.

I put the new marigold out on the old picnic table next to several pots of Shithouse Marigolds.

EDIT 8/5/26 -- I watered the house yard plants and the telephone pole garden.

I saw two bats swooping along the road.  Cicadas and crickets are singing.  A few fireflies out.

It's spitting rain.

As it is getting dark, I am done for the night. 

Profile

birdfeeding: A bird singing (Default)
Birdfeeding: Friends of a Feather Flock Together

August 2026

S M T W T F S
       1
2 3 4 5678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags